Town of Clay
The Town of Clay, established in 1827, is the largest town in Onondaga County. In 2008, according to the town's website, Money Magazine rated it 59th of America's best places to live. This history of Clay, New York, recorded Oct. 1, 2011 at the town hall, is told from personal narratives and recollections. Information comes from a 100-year-old resident; members of founding families; cousins who grew up on mid-twentieth century farms; world travelers, and genealogists. They speak about a variety of topics including education, religion, business, industry, transportation, social life, and the growth of Clay as a residential suburb - from the 1955 establishment of Bayberry, an innovative planned community - to its present configuration comprising a dozen or more subdivisions.
Town historian Dorothy Heller contributed generously to this Liverpool Public Library project. Researchers will want to expand upon the information contained herein by consulting primary documents, published material, maps, and other sources to enlarge the scope of this presentation and ensure historical accuracy.
©2011 Liverpool Public Library